Charles J Argento, Accident and Injury Attorney
Charles J Argento, accident and injury attorney

Call for a Free Consultation

Understanding insurance protection following a vehicle crash

On Behalf of | Apr 18, 2018 | blog

In the state of Texas, drivers must pay for vehicle accidents if they are at fault, and most have liability insurance for this purpose. To meet the financial responsibility requirements under Texas law, a motorist must carry the minimum liability coverage: $30,000 per injured person, but only up to $60,000 per accident, and $25,000 for property damage. This basic, minimum coverage is known as 30/60/25.

However, some drivers have no auto insurance and no way to provide financial compensation. Therefore, if you are the victim of a crash caused by an uninsured motorist, how will your medical bills and the damage to your car be paid for?

UM/UIM coverage

If you carry uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance, you will have coverage if the driver who causes an accident in which you are involved has no coverage or ability to pay. It will even provide coverage if the accident is the result of a hit-and-run circumstance. There are two kinds: bodily injury and property damage. The first kind of UM/UIM coverage will pay for your medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering and more. The second will pay for any auto repairs you might have and even for a rental car while your vehicle is in the shop. Keep in mind that there is a deductible. This is an out-of-pocket expense for you, but once you pay it, your insurance company will take care of the rest.

Details of a policy

Insurance policies vary. Read yours carefully, paying special attention to the exclusions. These are things the policy will not cover. For example, you would not have coverage if you were to use your car in a race, or if you used it in a ridesharing service such as Uber. Be sure you understand what the policy covers and what it does not, and the right insurance will serve you well if you are the victim of a car accident.